On 23 March, 40 participants joined the ‘Analysing tools against disinformation’ workshops, a media education event targeted to professionals in French speaking Belgium, organised in Brussels, in the framework of the EDMO BELUX project.
The day started with a session presenting and valorising the range of media literacy tools developed in the context of the EDMO BELUX project. The presentation proposed a typology of pedagogical tools to fight disinformation and to develop media literacy skills. The session was followed by three sessions of parallel workshops to work on the pedagogical tools: their strengths, weaknesses, contributions, and possible extensions.
Each workshop focused on a specific theme as follows:
Session 1 :
- Fact-checking – is it education?
- Cognitive biases, when media education makes a diagnosis
Session 2 :
- Is manipulating, creating and disseminating disinformation and fake news as an educational tool ok?
- Should media education deal with opinions and beliefs?
Session 3 :
- The ideal tool for young audiences
- The ideal tool for adult audiences
Closing the day
The event was organised in the framework of the EDMO BELUX project, and initiated by Média Animation asbl in partnership with the Conseil Supérieur de l’Education aux Médias and RTBF.